Who's playing what?

So what is everyone playing at the moment?

For tabletop, I got two 4E games and a Star Wars Saga game going. And as far as MMOs I'm dinking around on LoTRO.

Comments

• One 2e game for the tabletop and WoW online. That's about it.
  • I'm running a face-to-face D&D 3.5 game (struggling to get back to a regular schedule), and I'm playing in an online Primetime Adventures game. I've heard good things about Warhammer Online, but I can't afford the time for a MMORPG with my EpicTable dev schedule.
  • We were playing D&D3e but have switched over to D&D4e; so far we are happy but haven't gotten too far into 4th edition to determine whether we will ever go back to 3rd or not.

We play every Tuesday and have been for years. It seems that even though we are all middle aged and have kids, we still have a burning need to get together and escape to another place. :)
  • I've done a few sessions of PTA on the tabletop in the past couple of months. I'm hoping to get back into some online gaming soon, and perhaps play Vincent Baker's new game, "Storming the Wizard's Tower."
  • I'm interested in Storming the Wizard's Tower as well.

I'm sort of interested in D&D 4E--if for no other reason than to see what it's all about. It's mechanically interesting to me as a tactical game, as opposed to an RPG. I'm not trying to start a discussion about whether 4E is an RPG!;) I could imagine using it in a group that wanted a mix of roleplay and tactical combat.
  • I've namely been playing WoD on one of my favorite Play-By-Post forums, and I've been building a Custom Steampunk setting for D&D 3.5 Or the Variation called Pathfinder, though I've looked and 4th edition, tired it, and have since not liked it.
  • Serge Wolf;489 wrote: ...I've been building a Custom Steampunk setting for D&D 3.5 Or the Variation called Pathfinder, though I've looked and 4th edition, tired it, and have since not liked it.

The steampunk setting sounds cool. Have you seen Iron Kingdoms? It's Privateer Press' D&D+iron+steam. It's fairly cool, though not exactly steampunk, I guess. I have a player interested in steampunk, but I don't know enough about the genre to know what is and what isn't steampunk.

As for 4E, the main criticism I've heard is that it's hard to DM--that with the huge array of powers/abilities/whatevers, adjudicating player actions, or even helping your players adjudicate them, is a huge task for the DM and slows things down. And then you have to do the same for the monsters.... I'm reserving judgment, since I haven't played it, but from reading the rules, I can see how that might be a problem. It might be like having a party full of wizards who have different spells and enough to cast them all the time.... I think this is, in part, behind my desire for a tactical, GM-less game.
  • John Lammers;491 wrote: The steampunk setting sounds cool. Have you seen Iron Kingdoms? It's Privateer Press' D&D+iron+steam. It's fairly cool, though not exactly steampunk, I guess. I have a player interested in steampunk, but I don't know enough about the genre to know what is and what isn't steampunk.

I can actually recommend a few things, if you'd like to get more acquainted with the steampunk style and setting.

Just to name three good games that are filled with steampunk:

Final Fantasy 6 and Final Fantasy 9. (Playstaion 1)

And Arcanum:Of Steamworks and Magick_Obscura. (PC)

Also, this comic, while a bit sappy, conveys a near exact steampunk setting. Girl Genius

John Lammers;491 wrote: As for 4E, the main criticism I've heard is that it's hard to DM...

When I looked through it, it was just to tactical and combat based for my storytelling and fluff taste. Though I do love strategy, 4th edition just came across as something else entirely.
  • John Lammers;491 wrote: As for 4E, the main criticism I've heard is that it's hard to DM--that with the huge array of powers/abilities/whatevers, adjudicating player actions, or even helping your players adjudicate them, is a huge task for the DM and slows things down.

It's funny. I thought it made it easier to DM. And easier to run monsters. If anyone wants to give 4E a try then I'd gladly run a short adventure. However it would be using FG as the VTT.
  • I'm currently playing a WoD(new) chronicle, and there's plans for a new one to start soon. Besides that, a few short GURPS games, and maybe some Paranoia in the future('cause it's always fun :D).

Unfortunately no Shadowrun or L5R games at the moment =/
  • With all the features promised for EpicTable, I think it should be fairly easy to implement miniatures battles-type games. If I'm correct, I should be able to have several active maps open at the same time for various map scales.

I picked up a scifi tactical starship combat game not too long ago called Warcosm, simply because I am fed up with so many stinking rules for starship battles. I am going to try to integrate this system into other games I want to play (Jovian Chronicles and Mekton, for starters) rather than go with the pile of rules they include in the original systems.

Can't wait to try it out. :)
  • Sorry about the slow response--this one slipped by me somehow.:o

HeavilyMental;509 wrote: With all the features promised for EpicTable, I think it should be fairly easy to implement miniatures battles-type games. If I'm correct, I should be able to have several active maps open at the same time for various map scales.

Lets see...you can certainly have several maps open at once. You can have different zoom levels of the same map or different areas of the same map in different tabs. But I don't think I can speak to how easy it will be to use EpicTable for miniatures battle games. I've designed it with RPGs in mind, and I don't really have any experience with miniatures battle games or war games, so I'd hate to make the claim that EpicTable will be ideally suited to that sort of thing. That said, I'm happy to hear what you have to say about it once you get your hands on it.

HeavilyMental;509 wrote: I picked up a scifi tactical starship combat game not too long ago called Warcosm, simply because I am fed up with so many stinking rules for starship battles. I am going to try to integrate this system into other games I want to play (Jovian Chronicles and Mekton, for starters) rather than go with the pile of rules they include in the original systems.

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Go ahead and start a thread or post a link to a thread elsewhere if you find yourself inclined to write about your results.
  • At the time I am player the (New) World of Darkness Vampire the Requim game my cousin is running, and I'm running a Hunter the Vigil game for the secound time. This is my first and only RPG, and Ive only been playing it for 5 months so far. My game lasted 4 months once a week....so I guess Im doing good with storytelling :). I hope to use this program to run a game with my other cousin in california I gave a WoD book to.
  • Welcome to the forum, venom818! Once a week for 4 months is a pretty good track record for a gaming group, especially for a first group. Too often, life intervenes and breaks up a gaming group before then. I'm currently part of two and a half games: two are on hiatus and the other I pretty much had to drop out of after character creation.:( (So, I guess that's no games...)

Virtual tabletops help in that they remove some of the challenges a gaming group has. I just recently became a father (which accounts for my dropping out of one of the games). Meeting for an online game after the baby is asleep is pretty feasible, but getting out to a face-to-face game on a weeknight wouldn't be.
  • My group is currently in a long running 2E D&D f2f campaign (my character is about 15 years old). I am trying to get them to look at 4E, but most are too lazy to read, heh. Also trying to get them into a VTT game, which isn't working out so well, but we have gotten 2 additional players at the face to face games, so it might be a little easier to do now.

I have been looking at HERO, GURPS, and Savage Worlds a lot recently though, and really wish I could find some way to get those in. That's what really shines on a VTT. It's much easier to jump in a game over the internet than it is to find more friends :D
  • My Fiance and I just bought a Wii a couple weeks ago. Neither one of us were ever really into any video games but this thing is addictive. Tennis is by far the most competitive and fast paced game we play. Its actually a bit of a workout if you really get into it.

We actually had to move it into another room in the house because we got tired of constantly having to move some of the breakable things out of the living room.
  • I'm currently GMing The Enemy Within series, a game based on the Warhammer Fantasty RPG setting but using HERO 5th Edition Fantasy for the rule set. We have been on again off again since 2004. Normally we play every other Saturday.
  • I'm running a bi-weekly game of Mouse Guard in meatspace, and a weekly game of Old School Hack using EpicTable.
  • I just noted that I didn't contribute to this thread.

Running:

D&D 4e game in RL set in Ptolus. This campaign is running since autumn '08 and meets every three weeks.

Personally Pimped Midgard in Aventurien. Preparation for this RL children's game is nearly done; I expect the campaign to start end of March. I expect to play every other Sunday afternoon.

AD&D/OSRIC in Greyhawk. This EpicTable game is currently in the preparation phase.

Playing:

Murgh BPurns Jaws of the Six Serpents game via EpicTable. We've had only one session so far due to health and traffic reasons, but hope to get it regularised.

As a DDI subscriber I expect to receive an invitation to WotC's VTT beta. I'll at least use it for some pick-up gaming.

Looks like a pretty busy year for me... :D

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden
  • I was looking for a Fantasy Grounds alternative to play PDQ Six Serpents and was going to ask if the character sheet in this software was easy to customize if there is one.

I see Jan van Leyden uses this to play Six Serpents so if you didn't mind commenting on Epic Tables ability to cover multiple game systems without needing to be a programmer?
  • Faxum;2255 wrote: I was looking for a Fantasy Grounds alternative to play PDQ Six Serpents and was going to ask if the character sheet in this software was easy to customize if there is one.

I see Jan van Leyden uses this to play Six Serpents so if you didn't mind commenting on Epic Tables ability to cover multiple game systems without needing to be a programmer?

I don't know if Jan did any sort of character sheet. Character sheets aren't directly supported in EpicTable yet. That said, we use character sheets in our Friday night Dungeon World game. We use the PDF sheet (or actually, one that one of the guys modified a bit to better fit a screen) as the background of a tabletop. The GM just creates one tabletop per character for the character sheet. (If you do this, create it as private first, rename it, and then make it public, because tabletop renames aren't broadcast yet.)

We then use image objects for portraits, text objects for stats, and dice cup objects for common rolls. Oh, and rich text objects right over top of areas of the sheet meant for gear, etc. It works pretty well for Dungeon World, Old School Hack, and other "stats-light" games. You wouldn't want to do it with a really stats-intensive sheet like Hero. You probably wouldn't even want to do a whole D&D sheet this way--at least I wouldn't--but a mini-sheet of important rolls and basic info would work fine.

We've also, for other games, just used a rich text card on the tabletop for each character. It actually works out pretty well. "Real" character sheet support will be coming in version 2.

As far as your question about customization without being a programmer, that's sort of my mantra. I don't want people writing XML or scripts or emailing files around or anything like that. Check out the dice roll builder video for an example of doing something a bit complicated without scripting.

I'll see if I can get Brennen, our GM, to do a screencast of building character sheets the way he's been doing them for our Friday night game. Also, I have a short term goal of taking some of the things he's done and making them more directly supported in EpicTable.
  • Well, we used simple notes for the characters in our Jot6S game; which was organized and run by Murgh Bpurn, btw. You just created a note for your character and wrote down his qualities in plain text.

Ah, the joys of rules-light gaming! :)

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden
  • As DM i run three pathfinder games "Serpent's Skull" and "Carrion Crown" pre-made products of Paizo and one game "Amore Regge Sensa Legge" i created a long time ago (1986) and upgraded / upgrading it for pathfinder.

Links:

Serpent Skull : http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=2276

Carrion Crown: http://plothook.net/RPG/forumdisplay.php?f=2291

Amore Regge : http://pbphouse.com/forum/index.php?board=363.0

I also participate in games:

Dark is the Moon : http://pbphouse.com/forum/index.php?board=236.0 as Stiro (cavalier / paladin / fighter (swordlord))

and in Savage Tide: http://pbphouse.com/forum/index.php?board=317.0 as Shadow a small halfling thief/trapsmith

I'm also participating in a Song of Fire and Ice adventure as Glokta.

http://pbphouse.com/forum/index.php?board=331.0

I am only running and participating in Pathfinder (Paizo) games, with the exception of Glokta. I mix and mess up when i try to participate in other game systems. I also stick to fantasy games. There must be some magic in it.

I' did run Kingmaker with some friends, but i had to travel over an hour to get there to play and now i have no job (thus no car) and the place is unreachable (public transportation: a staggering 4 hour travel)

so i had to drop that game.

I also have no other players to play with in a virtual table top. Yet i like the idea and had some great fun. (as long as i don't have to calculate numbers, at which i suck major. can't remember numbers and adding and substracting is a slow (very slow) process. RL tabletop i only play if people don't mind shouting the added or substracted dice. ;) Lucky for me i make it up with a large amount of imagination and so... everybody is happy)

i use several tools like campaign cartographer, dundjinni, hexographer (amazing tool), dungeonographer (also amazing) and DAZ3D/carrara Pro to create additional visible items for my (forum played) games.

To deliver my games as pictures for PbP i also use "battlegrounds" and the ability to import maps, grid them with icons for characters and export the result in a large format picture. I resize it to post results and party progress through the lands/buildings.

all that i can say to end this (too long) message is "have fun!" :D
  • Games I GameMaster (GM): Champions (Hero System) superheroes FTF, Teen Champions (Hero System): teenager superheroes, and Pulp Hero (Hero System) game set in 1936 with much pulpy action!.

Games I play in:

Champions (Hero Systems) a silver age like game Face to Face (FTF), Fantasy Hero (Hero System) fantasy game FTF, Champions set in the 1960's, SteamPunk game (Hero System) FTF, D and D Fourth Edition game FTF, and Star Hero game (Hero System Sci-fi).

Favorite software tools:

Skype (great and free if all on computers), Gadwin SoftwareScreen shot software, Corel Draw, Hero Machine for making paper minis, MS Excel for some tasks as init charts, Hero Designer for making Hero System characters, Treepad (for game documentation) and Maptools. I also have written two custom programs in Delphi XE for tracking XP and characters.

I am a member of Legion of Heroes and I GameMaster at major conventions (GenCon, Origins) and I GM at some other conventions (Who'syercon).