GM-less Traditional RPG?

I'd post on The Forge or Story-Games, but since I'm talking about a traditional game (i.e., not story game), and I'm not ready to take on designing a game, I'm not sure either of those are appropriate.

I'm really itching for something modern/futuristic with lots of gear. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about: I was, several years ago, in a d20 Modern/Urban Arcana game in which I played a half-fiend female lead singer of a prog-metal band who'd been recruited into some black ops or mercenary outfit for infiltration/investigation/espionage kind of stuff. She had a mix of handguns, a couple flavors of a smoke grenades, a Ducati, ....

I'd like something kind of tactical, rather than pure story game, but not as crunchy as 4E. GM-less, with some co-authorship. Maybe Universalis-style controls on how adversaries and challenges are brought into the game?

I know some of you have broader experience than I do with what's out there. Does this game already exist?

Comments

• I'm not sure. You might want to look into Beast Hunters for inspiration.

A PvP-style game would probably work best. I'm thinking that party-style play would be almost impossible.

What are your motivations for wanting this game?
  • Brennen Reece;560 wrote: I'm not sure. You might want to look into Beast Hunters for inspiration.

A PvP-style game would probably work best. I'm thinking that party-style play would be almost impossible.

What are your motivations for wanting this game?

I'll take a look at Beast Hunters. As for motivations:

• I don't want to always be the GM.

• I want more input into the story and the world than a player in a traditional game.

• I want gear. I have a sudden and shameless need for gear.:rolleyes:

There's something about Universalis and now Mortal Coil that's gnawing away at me (in a good way). I think it's that notion of formalizing player control with an economy for introducing facts and characters into the game.

And Arkham Horror's (a cooperative boardgame) ability to present random but theme- and site-appropriate situations that the players have to deal with as a group--without any of them being the GM--is rattling around in the back of my head.

And "How to Host a Dungeon" makes me wonder if all the old goofy randomly generated adventures could be de-goofified with economic models of player control over story from games like Universalis and Mortal Coil, and coherency via strong theming ala Arkham Horror....
  • You're familiar with the Czege principle?

"creating your own adversity and its resolution is boring."

This is one of the problems I foresee in a semi-crunchy tactical GM-less game. Someone has to run the bad guys.

Have you seen the Mythic GM emulator? Maybe this would work. Maybe.
  • I'm not familiar with the Mythic GM emulator. I'll have to check that out.

Meanwhile, in terms of someone running the bad guys, would you consider Universalis PvP? I've wondered if it would run afoul of the Czege principle. I also wonder if the Shab-al-Hiri Roach might be something to draw upon in terms of its mechanism for introducing conflict from without, but keeping it vague enough that it's fun and interesting for the players to shape the conflict.
  • I'm not sure I'd even consider Universalis a roleplaying game, but a collaborative storytelling system.

Have you played "In A Wicked Age" yet? It isn't quite what you're describing, but it might scratch the same itch.
  • I've read but not played "In a Wicked Age". Seems fairly cool. I'm currently reading "Mortal Coil" which has some of the economic elements I like in Universalis.
  • So at what extent of a story does it make a RPG become not RPGish?

I still think M&L3 could be considered a RPG fully though.
  • CipDriff;871 wrote: So at what extent of a story does it make a RPG become not RPGish?

I still think M&L3 could be considered a RPG fully though.
    Just wondering...I'd never heard of M&L3 so I googled it. All I came up with is Mario and Luigi RPG. If this is what you're talking about, I'm afraid we're talking about different animals here, but I don't want to make any assumptions.
  • I dont have a 360 just yet, but my buddy does. He has a lot of problems with his. Any clue if the Elite breaks less? I am looking to buy one, just not sure if I should spend the extra money for the Elite.
  • For me I rather like traditional type of game instead of those who have gears and spaceship and one of the traditional game that I really like to play was Battle realms which is an strategy gaming.