Pulp gaming inspiration: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I just saw the latest Indiana Jones movie: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Now, I can't give you a very objective critique of the movie, because it has crumbly jungle ruins, crystal skulls and monkeys. And if there's any... [View original post]

Comments

• I have lots of wanna be film industry friends. They all think it's a lesser film than its predecessors. I say no way, vintage Indiana Jones. At one point a friend proclaimed the refrigerator bit was preposterous. To which I said, oh, yeah and crossing the sea in the conning tower of a submarine, that's much more believeable. People have short memories.

I enjoyed it.
  • I'm going to agree with your friend that it wasn't as good as the other two films. I'll base my opinion on two facts: it didn't come out when I was 10 years old, and the other movies waited a good long time until the off-the-wall fantastic stuff was revealed.

Also, I think we can all agree that George Lucas and Steven Spielberg are both riding the hill down. Don't listen to me, though. I always think Tim Burton or Ridley Scott should direct everything.

It was fun as hell. It was never meant to be Citizen Kane. I feel bad that Indy didn't get to do the James Bond thing with Cate Blanchett.
  • A co-worker of mine pointed out something interesting about the Indiana Jones series: The best movies are the ones that deal with religious themes (the first dealing with the Ark of the Covenant and the third dealing with the Holy Grail). I hadn't thought about exactly why I favored the first and the third movies (although I enjoyed all four), but he hit the nail right on the head.

But, still, monkeys and jungle ruins and crystal skulls are a tough-to-beat combo in any movie or game!