Newbie questions

First, let me say that I really like this VT so far. The simple interface is really nice. Well done. I do have some questions though that are causing me some grief.

I read in a thread that there was a 'fog of war' function but I can't find it anywhere. Is there one? If so, how do you use it?

Second, is there a save feature for an ongoing game? I've ran some tests and when I exit the game, it loses all the chat, and game data up to that point. I'd like to be able to pick up where we left off from a previous game. Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• eternalwolf777;2365 wrote: First, let me say that I really like this VT so far. The simple interface is really nice. Well done.
    Thanks. I appreciate that.

eternalwolf777;2365 wrote: I read in a thread that there was a 'fog of war' function but I can't find it anywhere. Is there one? If so, how do you use it?
    Fog of war / vision are not in the current beta. What, precisely, makes it into 1.0 with respect to these features is still up in the air, but they're still part of the EpicTable plan. The support site has more info on what's not included in the beta, as well as tips and videos to get you started.

eternalwolf777;2365 wrote: Second, is there a save feature for an ongoing game? I've ran some tests and when I exit the game, it loses all the chat, and game data up to that point. I'd like to be able to pick up where we left off from a previous game. Any ideas?
    Everything is saved automatically. That's why you can't find a save button. The exception to that are the chat messages, which are not saved from session to session. If you're losing other game data--characters, maps, dice cups, etc., please let me know and I'll help you out. The best way to let me know about that sort of thing is to open a ticket on the support site: http://support.epictable.com. That way, it's tracked and not just conversation.
  • Thanks for the information. Let me double-check what all is being saved before I say too much. As for the conversations, do you have any plans of saving those to or making it an option?

As I sit here and think about it, I can see the benefits of both keeping conversations and being able to delete them.
  • eternalwolf777;2365 wrote: Second, is there a save feature for an ongoing game? I've ran some tests and when I exit the game, it loses all the chat, and game data up to that point. I'd like to be able to pick up where we left off from a previous game. Any ideas?
    There is a chat.log that saves locally, and has the content of the chat window in it. I hesitate to point anyone to it since I'm not sure what the eventual intent for this is when EpicTable is publicly released. I haven't found a way to load this back into the interface yet, as it sounds like you want - there may not be one.

For me, I hope this item stays - I hope to be able to post up previous logs of gaming sessions on a website, and the current chat.log would be a great start for that.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • RobHata;2368 wrote: There is a chat.log that saves locally, and has the content of the chat window in it. I hesitate to point anyone to it since I'm not sure what the eventual intent for this is when EpicTable is publicly released. I haven't found a way to load this back into the interface yet, as it sounds like you want - there may not be one.

For me, I hope this item stays - I hope to be able to post up previous logs of gaming sessions on a website, and the current chat.log would be a great start for that.

Hope that helps a bit.

Good idea. Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it later. For me, I'd like to have the option to pull it back up so gamers can recap earlier sessions of the same campaign if they want to. Of course, being able to clear it is nice too. I want to be able to re-use the 'Room' I've created so I don't have to re-create special dice rolls, maps, etc.
  • What is the difference between private and shared characters?
  • eternalwolf777;2370 wrote: What is the difference between private and shared characters?
    Private characters are only seen by the person creating them. It's intended for prep--for a GM to create NPCs or maps that he's not shared with the players.

As a consequence, players' private objects (except dice rolls, which are always

private) are not saved across sessions currently.
  • eternalwolf777;2369 wrote: Good idea. Thanks for the information. I'll take a look at it later. For me, I'd like to have the option to pull it back up so gamers can recap earlier sessions of the same campaign if they want to. Of course, being able to clear it is nice too. I want to be able to re-use the 'Room' I've created so I don't have to re-create special dice rolls, maps, etc.

Interesting idea about loading last session's chat to use as a recap. As RobHata says, there is a chat log, but that's not a real feature yet. It's experimental. My intent is to let you open it to view or save the html so you can post it on an actual play blog or your campaign site.

Regarding reusing the "room", that's exactly what EpicTable does. All the things you've mentioned, except the chat log are automatically saved and are loaded when you reenter that game/room.
  • John Lammers;2373 wrote: Private characters are only seen by the person creating them. It's intended for prep--for a GM to create NPCs or maps that he's not shared with the players.

As a consequence, players' private objects (except dice rolls, which are always

private) are not saved across sessions currently.

So, if I create a private NPC that I later want to reveal to the group, can I change it to a 'shared' one so they can see it?
  • eternalwolf777;2381 wrote: So, if I create a private NPC that I later want to reveal to the group, can I change it to a 'shared' one so they can see it?

Exactly right.

One thing that might not be obvious, though, private characters aren't hidden on the map by they're being private. A private character isn't in the portrait bar and isn't available as a chat persona, but if it's on the map, it's on the map. In a bit, when I add some notion of privileges, you won't be able to look at a private character's details unless it's your own.
  • Did the "convert private to shared" function ever make it into 1.1.2, or is it not working?

The only thing I can do with them is "Send to Portrait Bar" or "Give control to..".
  • PHGraves;2990 wrote: Did the "convert private to shared" function ever make it into 1.1.2, or is it not working?

The only thing I can do with them is "Send to Portrait Bar" or "Give control to..".

Send to Portrait Bar" is the way you make a character public. Right now "public characters" and "characters on the portrait bar" are one in the same.

"Give control to.." is a different concept. It's a way to give control of a character to another person--usually, a GM giving a player control of a character he GM has created (for pre-generated characters, for instance). Note that someone reported a bug in that assignment--the assigned player wasn't able to drag the character to the map. I'll look into that for an update, but talking this through, I wonder if the problem is that the character was never made public, so the player's ET is unaware of the character to which he's been granted control. Giving control should implicitly make the character public or at least available to the controller. I'll make this more consistent, but in the meantime, the best way to avoid trouble with this feature is to use it only with public characters.
  • Thanks for the quick response. It seemed to work that way when I was dual-box testing, but I had to ask.
  • We ran into the strange "can't drag portrait to map" and "can't chat as that character" bug, and got around it by temporarily giving the character to someone else, then taking it back and giving it to the person originally intended.
  • I wonder...is it possible that the character was given to the other participant immediately after he joined, before he'd retrieved the character? If you send me the diagnostics (i.e., "Collect Diagnostics" - http://support.epictable.com/entries/432253-Collecting-Diagnostics) from the receiving player's machine, I'll be able to tell.