A few questions

edited September 2011 in EpicTable Discussion
Hi there, ran across this site while looking around, and i have to say this looks very promising.

Are you going to be using plugins for rule sets at all? or is this going to be a neutral platform?

Your map tab... is there going to be a way to load maps? for the life of me i can not figure out how to load a map. I can load it via a background, is that the intended way of doing it?

Your zoom ability for maps seems to focus on one area, is there a way to force it zoom in on the present viewing area instead of snaping back to the upper left corner?

Other then that, i am going to enjoy this software, presently using another one that cant seem to not crash... please hurry =)

Comments

• Galeric;2408 wrote: Hi there, ran across this site while looking around, and i have to say this looks very promising.
    Glad to have you here and glad you like what you see so far.

Galeric;2408 wrote: Are you going to be using plugins for rule sets at all? or is this going to be a neutral platform?
    EpicTable is game-neutral and a lot of work has gone into making it easy for you to play whatever you want to play without the need for plug-ins, etc. Check out the dice roller videos and other video tutorials on the support site.

Galeric;2408 wrote: Your map tab... is there going to be a way to load maps? for the life of me i can not figure out how to load a map. I can load it via a background, is that the intended way of doing it?
    Got it in one. That's all there is to loading a map. Later, when vision is supported, there will be a little extra, optional work to do to vision-enable a map, but what you've already done is all that's required for a basic map.

Galeric;2408 wrote: Your zoom ability for maps seems to focus on one area, is there a way to force it zoom in on the present viewing area instead of snaping back to the upper left corner?
    There should be. :o There's another zoom-related request on the support forum, that I imagine amounts to about the same thing. I know zoom and view control, in general, could use a little attention. It's certainly something on the to-do list.
  • Going to give the software a go thursday with my group. Will give you a synopsis of problems etc if they happen.
  • Just wanted to give you a brief update. we gave your software a quick run, and it just does not meet our needs at the moment, but it is so close, we want to switch really bad.

The other software we are using is just... nevermind, needless to say its junk.

The map mask ability and being able to zoom and move it around is our only need atm.

On a good note, we have started a Vampire game using this software last night, it worked great! Saw in another post about the dice thing.

This is a great product you are building, and when you go live, i will be among the 1st to purchase.
  • Hey Galeric!

Great to hear that EpicTable worked out for your Vampire game. (Make sure everyone is using the latest--currently beta 14. The auto-update is turned off because the third party product I was using for it just isn't reliable enough. I'm writing my own auto-update capability that's simpler and more reliable...but it's not in the product yet.)

As for the game where EpicTable is just not quite there, let's talk. Maybe there's something I can do on the way to full-blown vision (assuming that's what you're missing).
  • The idea is to load a dungeon for everyone, and then be able to reveal areas of the dungeon as they explore it. Also being able to move around a map and zoom in on a specific area. This is something i talked about before and you had said its on your to do list. Its no problem, seeing the work you have done, this will get done at some point, I have n problems waiting for it.
  • Thanks for the description. What you want is on the way.

Here's how my friends shame me into implementing something before I've intended to do so: They come up with a workaround that works for them but makes me cringe. :rolleyes:

One of them has been doing something similar to what you want by using an all-black image object (inserted via the "Image" button on the Tabletops tab of the ribbon). He has a couple of those that he moves around and resizes to hide or reveal areas of the map. It's so old school it hurts me a little to even suggest it, but it is a little brilliant on his part, and it's working for him. I only cringe because I'm embarrassed that he has to go to such lengths to do this. EpicTable will eventually make his workaround unnecessary, but it has been a good lesson for me in what people can do with a few simple tools, and I think even once full-blown vision is integrated into EpicTable, there will be a roll for some sort of quick-and-dirty cover/reveal functionality for times when the GM doesn't want to mess with lights and light-blocking barriers and all that.

Here's another workaround that one of the beta testers came up with. It's a little scary, but I should support it. It's working well for him, I think, but I called it scary because it's something I didn't foresee, haven't tested, and haven't made easy to do in any way. But again, kind of ingenious. Similar to the first workaround, the idea is manual cover/reveal, only instead of a black image, he uses the drawing functionality introduced in beta 11. He creates a wide, black brush and draws over covered regions. He later uses erase or select-and-delete to reveal the map by removing the drawn black "lines". This is another example of someone using a tool in a way I'd not envisioned, but I can see that, with a little support specific to the task he's trying to accomplish, I could make it much easier for him to do what he's trying to do. I guess that's what a beta is all about.
  • So any chance of you doing a vision system like MapTools? :eek: It is open source!

Finally got away from FG for good, moved over to MapTools until EpicTable is able to handle our group, but we are watching with anticipation!
  • Vision is part of the EpicTable plan. It's at what I'd call demo quality right now. I've shown it to people at Gen Con, but I'm careful to tell folks it's not part of the product yet and may not make 1.0. Vision's been a part of the EpicTable story for a long time, though--it's actually the first feature I worked on, so I have every intention of finishing it.
  • All i can say is LE WEWT! Vision system is awesome.