Mounted tokens

I everybody.

I will soon start a Pendragon Campaign with EpicTable.

Now i'm just learning how to use it !

I want to use Devin's top down vue tokens (i founded it on your web links).

But i don't know how to do to have mounted characters token !?

2 problems :

1) have a mounted token, and a non mounted token + horse token, and be able to change quickly.

2)characters token are only with square display => it doesn't work for a horse, a rectangle would be better !

So i thought to link 2 objects together (or a character token with a horse object), in order to move both at the same time, but there is no such feature i guess.

So can you give me a solution to do this ? Did i miss something ? :confused:

Comments

• tontione;2673 wrote: I want to use Devin's top down vue tokens (i founded it on your web links). But i don't know how to do to have mounted characters token !?

2 problems :

1) have a mounted token, and a non mounted token + horse token, and be able to change quickly.

I guess what I'd do is create yourself a mounted token with an image editor and add that to the map as an image object. The button to add an image object is under the Tabletops tab.

(The things on the Tabletops tab are equally useful for maps and tabletops, and the two tabs will probably get condensed in some way.) There's nothing special about a character token, except that it sizes to the grid and double-clicking on it brings up the character editor. So, I'd just keep your mounted token handy as a plain old image object.

tontione;2673 wrote:

2)characters token are only with square display => it doesn't work for a horse, a rectangle would be better !

Characters tokens initially size to the grid, so they're (initially) square. That's not an issue if your mounted token is a plain old image (because it won't size to the grid) instead of a character token. Alternatively, if you want a character token to be rectangular, you can select it and turn off aspect ratio enforcement. You can do that via the little link icon between the width and height on the Format tab. (Ultimately, that option will probably end up on the right-click menu as well.)

tontione;2673 wrote:

So i thought to link 2 objects together (or a character token with a horse object), in order to move both at the same time, but there is no such feature i guess.

So can you give me a solution to do this ? Did i miss something ? :confused:
    You can lasso select them and move them at the same time. It's a little confusing because there's a bug in the rendering of the multi-selected objects that causes all but the one under the mouse to disappear. It'll be a lot clearer when that's fixed. There is currently no support for grouping objects (that is, turning multiple objects into a single, composite object), though that's a strong candidate for a future release.
  • Thanks a lot for this quick and useful answer !

I didn't see resize character tokenfeature , nor lasso select ! I will try this soon.

Thanks again. :)
  • It works !

I use a linked character counter + horse picture.

easy to select, easy to move. :)

Just one thing : sometimes there z position changes, so horse go up; i don't know if there is a way to avoid it ?
  • Yeah, the z-order thing is a major pain.

Ultimately, I'll add something to let you group objects or pin one object to another, or introduce the concept of container objects, or something.

In the meantime, what I'd do, if I were you, is pull the two tokens into a photo editor and make a new token that's the mounted character. It wouldn't work for lots and lots of mounted characters, but my guess is, that's not your scenario.

It's not as cool as having EpicTable take care of it for you, but it'll work and spare you lots of z-order headaches in the meantime. As I mentioned before, there's nothing really magical about the tokens--at least at this point. You can use arbitrary image objects on the map as well. I'd have your normal token as a character token and use an image object for the mounted token.
  • Yes you're right.

But the main problem is to find the best way to allow player characters to quickly mount / dismount ; so to find a way to easily change a mounted token for a foot token + horse token, and reciprocally.

So i thought that having 2 linked tokens (man + horse) should be the best solution.

it's the same problem for all vehicules : characters inside a car, cart, boat etc.
  • My workaround won't work in the general case--that is, you can't go around maintaining separate tokens for every conceivable thing you might ride on (Conan in a hot air balloon, Conan on a carousel, Conan in a gondola...) ;)

But if there's one like "Conan on horseback" that you use a lot, a separate token as a workaround could make it easier for you.

You can enable the quick switch by having your shared character (lets say, "Conan") with the normal token and create a private character (lets call it, "Conan+Horse") with the mounted token. You can drag either token to the map any time you want. "Private" characters just don't show up in the portrait bar and the chat persona selector, which is just what you want for "Conan+Horse"...unless the horse does a lot of the talking.