EpicTable 1.0 Milestone

edited July 2012 in Announcements
This is my 1000th post to the EpicTable forum. Thanks for pointing out this opportunity, Jan van Leyden, though my 1000th post was almost the reply, "Hey! You're right! I should post something really special for my 1000th post....doh!" ;)

My 1000th post seems like a fitting time to give you guys a heads up on everything that's going on with the EpicTable 1.0 Milestone. Over the next couple days, I'll be posting details about EpicTable;s upcoming transition from beta to released product. In those posts, I'll answer questions like:

• What happens once the beta's over?

• What's the pricing/licensing model?

• Where/when can I get the released 1.0 product?

• What about features that didn't make the 1.0 cut?

• What's next for EpicTable?

I'll also be talking about the upcoming site refresh. The current site is three years behind the in-product branding and the branding of our EpicTable booth. Adding an e-commerce site just deepens the brand identity crisis--unless I true everything up. So, that's exactly what I'm doing, with considerable help from the talented Brennen Reece. I'm really excited about the new site. It looks way better and it's given me a chance to rethink what information is important and make that easy to find. Along the way, I'll also:

• revisit feature lists and screenshots

• make sure the 1.0/future line is clarified

• update the feature list to include the new features that arose due to the input of this community

• get rid of the forum theme bugs I've been ignoring

It's been a long road to get here. This community has been hugely beneficial to EpicTable, and to me personally. EpicTable has evolved as a result of the folks here, and very much for the better. Your encouragement and suggestions have kept me going through times when it felt like EpicTable 1.0 felt impossibly far away. Thank you, all.

I'm excited about the EpicTable 1.0 release, but it's a milestone, not a finish line. There's a lot more that I have planned for EpicTable, and I'm more excited and energized about it than ever.

Comments

• Now, this is a worthy topic for post #1000! :D

Congratulations for the post!

Congratulations for the Milestone!

Congratulations for the soon-to-be product!

And my heart-felt thanks for all your work, the great VTT and the possibility to join you on the way!

Okay, now everybode can pul out their ear plugs, no more exclamation marks from me... :)

Huldvoll winkend

---Jan van Leyden
  • Thanks! (I thought I'd help boost your exclamation point count--you get credit for any post in the same thread, right?)

When I started this site (I almost hate to admit it) in December of 2007, I never dreamed it would be 2012 before I'd be announcing EpicTable 1.0. But I also never dreamed I'd see the amount of feedback and feature requests and support I've gotten over these years. It's been a fantastic experience.
  • How absolutely amazing that after all these years I've come back to check on whatever happened to Epic Table just to read this announcement! Perfect timing.

I look forward to reading about it soon!

I understand TrueVision is not likely to be available, but I do hope you address it specifically, and your plans for it in the future. Vision control is the one thing that has kept me with MapTools all this time (something I can't seem to get across to the d20Pro guys).

Congrats on coming within sight of the finish line!
  • I'll post at length about this, but the short story is: no, TrueVision didn't make the 1.0 cut, but it's still "alive" as a feature in the queue.
  • John Lammers;2732 wrote: I'll post at length about this, but the short story is: no, TrueVision didn't make the 1.0 cut, but it's still "alive" as a feature in the queue.

I'm sorry John, that might have come across as back-handed and I sincerely didn't intended to be. That is, to step on your impending notice with a be misconstrued as a complaint about what feature won't be available.

Sincerely, not my intention. I'm happy for you and excited about all that you have done!

I was just trying to get across that, to me, the TrueVision features are the true long-term "deal makers". I follow many VTTs, and some (but not all) frame those features in a category of "that's not our emphasis, that's not what we see as what our audience really wants or needs".

And that's when I completely write them off from getting my time, word of mouth advertising, or any of my money. It's a done deal, and one that they lose almost instantly. At least until they get serious. That's why I'm still using freeware instead of buying their products.

That being said, I'm aware that its twitchy and complex technology, and I'm willing to be patient so long as I know its a high priority.

Again, I'm not trying to step on your big release. :D

I'm just sayin' it's a crucial topic I'll be looking for you to formally address in the days to come.
  • No worries. I understand where you're coming from, and I didn't take it badly.
  • Hey John,

Great post, and great news that you are drawing so near to a 1.0 release ... how exciting!

I'm sorry that I haven't contributed much in the last year or so, but I do keep an eye on the forums and download each beta update as it comes along ... even though I haven't really had the opportunity to play.

Best wishes for Gen Con too ... I hope you gain lots of exposure and new devotees !! :-D

Rohan
  • Here's the announcement of the transition of EpicTable from beta to 1.0 release. It includes my take on TrueVision's status.
  • RedFin;2735 wrote: Hey John,

Great post, and great news that you are drawing so near to a 1.0 release ... how exciting!

I'm sorry that I haven't contributed much in the last year or so, but I do keep an eye on the forums and download each beta update as it comes along ... even though I haven't really had the opportunity to play.

Best wishes for Gen Con too ... I hope you gain lots of exposure and new devotees !! :-D

Rohan
    Thanks! I'm glad you're still around. I appreciate all your support over the years. I still remember your urging me to get this thing released "soon" after FUMcon 2009(?).... :o
  • I know I'm a touch late, but I wanted to say congratulations on getting to v1.0! It's so great to see Epic Table finally get to this spot. All the hard work, blood, sweat and tears finally come to fruition and we're at 1.x. Awesome.

I look forward to seeing how things continue to develop and how other features you've been slaving over get their moment in the sun and add to an already impressive offering.

Thanks, John, for everything you've done.
  • Thanks, Velgor. It's been way more work and time getting here than I thought, but it's been way more rewarding too.