New site design is live!

edited August 2012 in Announcements
Well, I meant for this to be more of a process of warning you about what's coming, and slowly rolling it out, but a lot fell into place at once and I think the site redesign is done, except for the notable exceptions of this forum and the support site. Take a look at the shiny new epictable.com. Brennen Reece gets credit for the shiny. I've refreshed the screenshots and the feature list.

Oh, and um...there's a "Buy" button now. EpicTable 1.0 is officially released.

Comments

• John Lammers;2741 wrote: Oh, and um...there's a "Buy" button now. EpicTable 1.0 is officially released.

Congrats on the release! It's been a long time coming, you should be proud of what you've achieved.

Haven't had a chance to check out much of the site redesign (that will have to wait until I'm off from work), but what little I saw so far looks good.
  • John Lammers;2741 wrote: Oh, and um...there's a "Buy" button now. EpicTable 1.0 is officially released.

First, congrats for th release; you've achieved a lot with EpicTable!

Second, I still have a question concerning the license model. I asuume that as long as I run a game at my kitchen table (license), anybody I invite can join the game running a non-licensed version of EpicTable?

Is this the same version as the regular, licensed one?

What if I want to play in another room (diner table), using a different computer? Is the license tied to the computer or to my access/account on the server?

Thirdly, I'm curious: what's the price for EpicTable in US$? I hit the "Buy now" and was given price of €50,23. The current exchange rate would mean a price of 60-65 US$...

Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden
  • heruca;2742 wrote: Congrats on the release! It's been a long time coming, you should be proud of what you've achieved.

Haven't had a chance to check out much of the site redesign (that will have to wait until I'm off from work), but what little I saw so far looks good.

Thanks. It's nice to have it out there, finally. As for the site redesign, I love it, and I can say that without being self-aggrandizing, because it's the work of Brennen Reece.
  • Jan van Leyden;2743 wrote: I asuume that as long as I run a game at my kitchen table (license), anybody I invite can join the game running a non-licensed version of EpicTable?
    Correct.

Jan van Leyden;2743 wrote: Is this the same version as the regular, licensed one?
    It's the same, only without a license, the guest user cannot create or host games.

Jan van Leyden;2743 wrote: What if I want to play in another room (diner table), using a different computer? Is the license tied to the computer or to my access/account on the server?
    EpicTable is licensed to a person, not a computer, so theoretically, you can use it on as many computers as you like, provided you are using it. To guard against a key getting loose in the wild and being used by many people, you're limited to activating your license on two computers, but if you need more, just let me know (via submitting a ticket on http://support.epictable.com) and I'll take care of you.

Jan van Leyden;2743 wrote: Thirdly, I'm curious: what's the price for EpicTable in US$? I hit the "Buy now" and was given price of €50,23. The current exchange rate would mean a price of 60-65 US$...
    It's $59.95 US.
  • John Lammers;2745 wrote: It's $59.95 US.
    Okay, so there's no great service fee involved in the payment process.

Here's waiting for the Tax Refund to roll in... :)

Huldvoll

---Jan van Leyden

P.s: I wish you a fun and successful show at <genCon!
  • Holy Cow! how did I miss this!!!!? ??!

:-P and I wanted to be the 1st to buy the game - sigh.

did I miss an e-mail of this announce? it's very possible, this is the 'busy season' in Asphalt Maintenance, and well - I've been busy maintaining Asphalt. hah (busy selling the services really.) Sorry that I missed this post AND the big announce!

I'm busy reading all the stuff I missed - I tentatively pressed on the 'buy' button - and it looks like it started to do what buy buttons do, but then I slowly backed away as I thought I'd heard that you may have an 'Epic - Epic Table' (collectors ed.) version available or some such thing - I'm not perusing the other writings that I see floating about.

Also - I LOVE the new site! very nicely done!

zWolf -out.
  • And what's this about a "boxed set" as well?
  • zWolf;2757 wrote: Holy Cow! how did I miss this!!!!? ??!

:-P and I wanted to be the 1st to buy the game - sigh.

did I miss an e-mail of this announce?

Sorry about that. This thread was really all the announcement there was. I was prepping the site for Gen Con, which involved 1.0 sales and box set sales (more about that in a bit). And I'm there working feverishly to get the new site design ported and the e-commerce stuff hooked up, and all of a sudden, I sit back and look and the site design is in, the e-commerce buttons on it work, and I think, "Huh...I guess 1.0 just went live."

I really should have followed that up with a better announcement, but I was full-out on Gen Con stuff, and so it didn't feel like I'd really crossed the finish line at that point. Since Gen Con, I've been in recovery mode a bit and announcing a two week old release seemed anti-climactic.

Don't worry though, my energy reserves are building back up rapidly, and you'll hear more.

zWolf;2757 wrote: Also - I LOVE the new site! very nicely done!
    Thanks. The design was done by Brennen Reece.
  • Velgor;2758 wrote: And what's this about a "boxed set" as well?

Ah, the box set....

The box set was this thing we did for Gen Con. Last Gen Con we were talking about how it would seem a little unsatisfying to walk away with just a license key. Talk about CDs turned into talk about something bigger.

We ended up with the EpicTable Box Set. It's an actual physical box with a cover inspired by the original D&D box set, but reflecting what EpicTable is/does (which is kind of a lot to ask of an illustration, so once again, Brennen was called in).

Inside the box are some extra things--like a short guide to online gaming, and "EpicCoins" from previous Gen Cons and a new limited edition EpicCoin that I like to call "celestial gold" because "shiny" doesn't sound as cool. (The "normal" coins have antique finishes, meant to look like they came out of a long lost treasure chest.)

The real treasure, though, is the digital content. There's a bunch of tokens and portraits--a combination of Devin Night's stuff, Fiery Dragon, Brennen Reece's portraits for the "EpicTable canonical characters" which appear in demos and screencasts, and Adam Vehige's portrait of "Big Mike" the original EpicTable dragon mascot (who, at the time of this post, still graces the header of this forum). There's also a mini-adventure from Chubby Monster games and a couple maps from Christopher West.

This last is personally very gratifying to me because I've been a fan of Mr. West's since first seeing his work in Dragon magazine, and later, Dungeon magazine. Back in 2006, I was looking at one of his maps, thinking about what (the thing that would become-)EpicTable should be, and said, "I want to play on that." So, here I am in my office, one of the nights just before Gen Con, working on getting his maps screen-ready for the box set. I pull up one of his maps in EpicTable, and for a moment, I'm just floored. There's this big ka-chunk sound as, somewhere, this item on my bucket list gets checked off. Seeing a Christopher West map in EpicTable was an incredibly cool way to mark the of end 1.0 development (well, the end until I threw out all the CDs, but that's another story). It was an honor having his maps in the EpicTable box set. He actually provided them in higher quality than is reasonable for a lot of people's screens, so I scaled them down, but I didn't have the heart to omit the originals. They're still there, in a separate directory, for those with beefy machines and big displays.

Why didn't I talk about the box set? Well, I didn't really have time in the lead up to Gen Con. I also didn't want to rub salt in the wound for anyone who couldn't go, and I wanted a surprise for people who stop by the booth every year. The box sets were way more popular than I expected, accounting for 90% of our sales. There are some of these left, but I've not promoted them since returning from Gen Con because:

[list=a]
    [*]I'm reacquainting myself with sleep.
    [*]I'm figuring out details like getting them up on the e-commerce system, how much I'd have to charge to cover shipping, etc.
    [*]I also wanted to make sure that long time members of this forum who couldn't make it to Gen Con had a chance to get a box set if they wanted one.
    [/list]

On this last point, if you want a box set and you've already purchased EpicTable (even if you said you were going to wait--zWolf), don't worry--we'll make it work.

Look for box set details to appear after the holiday weekend.
  • John Lammers;2760 wrote: Ah, the box set....

• Lots of cool info

• Lots more cool info

• Even more cool info

Look for box set details to appear after the holiday weekend.

:D

That sounds awesome! I'd love to hear about perhaps getting one of these box sets.
  • Here are a couple teaser images for the EpicTable box set from Gen Con.

I have to figure out shipping and packaging before I make this available.

Attached files image image
  • Love that second image. Instant nostalgia.