Private maps?

edited September 2012 in EpicTable Discussion
Saw you guys at GenCon, and loved it. I just did a test session with my brother though for a game I'm going to be hosting in a couple weeks.



The only thing I noticed was that when I (as the GM) opened up a "private" map, he was able to see it immediately and manipulate it. Is there something I might be doing wrong?



My other question is is there a way to prevent players from manipulating things such as the hex grid and the draw tool? It actually happened a couple times while we were testing that he was able to change the map's background/overlay and the only fix I could find was closing and redoing the map.



Love the product though, and cannot wait to use it for our home/skype game!!

Comments

  • leapleyc;2766 wrote: Saw you guys at GenCon, and loved it. I just did a test session with my brother though for a game I'm going to be hosting in a couple weeks.
    That's great. Let me know how it goes.

    leapleyc;2766 wrote:

    The only thing I noticed was that when I (as the GM) opened up a "private" map, he was able to see it immediately and manipulate it. Is there something I might be doing wrong?
    That shouldn't be happening. I'd be interested to know if it was only with newly opened maps or with maps that are carried over from a previous session. Neither should be sent to the players if it's private. I'll try to reproduce this myself, but if you can come up with a reproducible case, please open a support ticket.

    leapleyc;2766 wrote:

    My other question is is there a way to prevent players from manipulating things such as the hex grid and the draw tool? It actually happened a couple times while we were testing that he was able to change the map's background/overlay and the only fix I could find was closing and redoing the map.
    You shouldn't have to close the map--just change the background back to what you want it. But no, EpicTable is intentionally very open. Just like any of your players at your physical tabletop can grab a marker and draw stuff on your wet erase battlemat, they can do the same in EpicTable. On balance, I think that's a good thing rather than a bad thing, and I've actually done quite a bit of work to enable things like multiple players drawing at once. I understand that some people want more control than that, though. The "GM Controlled Table" under Table Options was one small step in that direction, though the table is by no means "locked down".

    leapleyc;2766 wrote:

    Love the product though, and cannot wait to use it for our home/skype game!!
    Great. Let me know how it's going for you, and meanwhile, I'll take a look at that private map issue. You might consider keeping an eye out for EpicTable updates by subscribing to the EpicTable announcements feed or any of the other social links in the footer of the main site.
  • Sounds great thanks for the reply. We actually talked a lot after I wrote this and the more I think about it, the more I like the fact that anyone can manipulate the map. And the multiple people drawing at once is actually a great feature!



    Thanks again, and I'll see if I can recreate the map issue. It was only with newly created maps. I don't know if this matters or not, but when I first created the game, he joined and it told him the session was waiting for the game creator (i dont recall the exact verbage). So I left and rejoined. So I don't know if the fact that he was there "first" had anything to do with it or not, even though I was designated as GM.



    Not a big deal at all, since for our game I am running an adventure I've written, so I'll be keeping my private maps in physical form in front of me, but we were just playing with the features so thought I'd pass it along!! If it happens again I'll be sure to open up a ticket!
  • Great, please share if you have more informtion
Sign In or Register to comment.