[epicTable 1.1] chars token under drawings

edited August 2013 in EpicTable Discussion
I am testing the new 1.1.1 update (thanks ! )

When i use the draw tool on a map (same on a tabletop), my characters token are always under the drawing lines.

Is it a way to put them above ? right click / arrange / bring to top don't work.

Comments

• The ink has always been topmost like that. It's just the way that particular control works. I'm interested in tweaking that, but haven't done so yet. I don't believe that the ink objects respect z-order, but I'll look into that. It would be a simple answer. I believe they're a different animal, though, and I'd have to put them on a separate layer to be able to change their z-order relative to the tokens.
  • A more global thought about Z order :

my personnal main use of map function is to resolve tactical fights.

So i would like to create the map with epictable, and later use it with grid + chars tokens.

Create the map could be done with drawing tool, and/or by adding items picture (trees, rocks, walls ...)

The final result should be :

-background Layer(s) with full map display (background texture or picture + drawings + items),

-then grid above (with Snap for hex grid ! :rolleyes: )

-then tokens at the top.

Actually the z order of display is :

-background basic picture or texture

-then grid

-then items, tokens and pictures

-then drawings.

If i want to obtain the result i want, i have to draw my map outside of EpicTable or to built it With Epictable then make a screenshot, and then import it as background picture !

Improving this would be great !
  • So, just to make sure I have this correct, the desired z-order from bottom to top is:

• background

• fixed objects like rocks and trees

• ink

• grid

• active objects like character tokens

I know that some of you use the topmost-ness of the brushes to do fog of war, but I'm close to a better answer to that problem, so I think the above order would work. I'm not in a hurry to get into movable layers and having you explicitly manage layers. I'd like to keep it simple.
  • John Lammers;2955 wrote: So, just to make sure I have this correct, the desired z-order from bottom to top is:

• background

• ink

• grid

Yes it is ! :)

Or perhaps ink under fixed objects.
  • John Lammers;2955 wrote: So, just to make sure I have this correct, the desired z-order from bottom to top is:

• background

• ink

• grid

Definitely. I've been running headlong into these problems while I'm building maps for a test-game to show EpicTable off to my group.