New here and a couple questions.

Hello to all Epictable users and creator,

My online gaming group currently uses maptools, and we have for almost 5 years for the same campaign(we get together about once a month). We have gone thru our share of members, but myself and the DM have been at it since its inception.

Well we have burned out on maptools and that brought me here. My DM went straight to fantasy grounds, but I am not a huge fan. I changed his mind, it was really that you are on the verge of releasing fog of war. He loves fog of war, I like it as well, but the lay out and options of epictable far outweigh the lack of fog of war for me.

As soon as I seen the screenshots I got really excited about this program. When I noticed you were developing fog of war I got even more excited because it makes convincing my DM that much easier. I showed epictable off to one of the other long time players and he instantly fell in love with the dice cups(it won't change how long it takes him to complete a turn, but one can hope LOL).

So we have a few more sessions already prepped for maptools and by then I hope I can convince them to switch to epictable. I will be buying it anyway, maybe start a ravenloft campaign with some other guys.

So I downloaded the demo and have a few questions. I was looking for the themes in the program files and I was wondering can new themes be added? I would really like to make custom themes that reflect the layout of our obsidian portal page. While looking around I found objects like fireball and lightning bolt and wondered what those were for? Also light sources? After looking around on the forums a little bit I assume the last one is for the truevision stuff a place holder?

Also can one add other game pieces? I thought daggers that appeared to stick out of the tabletop would be cool place markers for fantasy style games instead of pins.

Also your tabletop is great. I messed around with it most of last night and didn't really have any issues. I was so inspired to try new things and kept thinking of clever ways to use the features to enhance our campaign. All tidbits I will use to help sell your tabletop to my gaming group.

And bravo to you for not charging on the player side. While I am a player in our current campaign I won't have any problems picking this program up and stashing it away to use in the future and help support what you are doing here. Thanks for taking a look at my questions.

Comments

• Great to hear from you, wickidsurfer.

(Sorry for the delay in the moderation queue. That's a one-time speedbump that keeps out the spammers that get through the more automated defenses. I've marked you as a non-spamming-human, so you should notice no more delays.)

I'll take this bit by bit and see if I can cover all your questions.

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote: As soon as I seen the screenshots I got really excited about this program. When I noticed you were developing fog of war I got even more excited because it makes convincing my DM that much easier.

If any of you guys haven't seen the fog of war preview, you should check it out.

I'm in final testing. It's been a little delayed by things at my day job leaking too far into my EpicTable time at night, but I'm hoping to finish this weekend.

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote:

I showed epictable off to one of the other long time players and he instantly fell in love with the dice cups(it won't change how long it takes him to complete a turn, but one can hope LOL).

I'd love to know what you love about them and what's missing for you. I have some things in motion for the dice cups in the post 1.2 timeframe...

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote:

So I downloaded the demo and have a few questions. I was looking for the themes in the program files and I was wondering can new themes be added? I would really like to make custom themes that reflect the layout of our obsidian portal page.

It's been my intent to allow them...sometime...but that's sitting behind some things in priority, and no one's asked about them until now. One of the themes I made specifically for a ShadowRun group. If you're really interested, I'll look into how much it would take to allow you to add your own. I laid a lot of the groundwork for that, in that they're loaded dynamically, but actually creating the theme right now requires the specific toolset that I use...which I don't think I can redistribute. I've thought about moving to a more open theming technology, but again, priorities. Chime in, folks, if you're interested in custom themes.

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote:

While looking around I found objects like fireball and lightning bolt and wondered what those were for? Also light sources? After looking around on the forums a little bit I assume the last one is for the truevision stuff a place holder?

Ah...you found my secrets. ;) These are things in the "Land of What Might Have Been or May Yet Be". Things I'm testing or prototyping, but haven't made public. The objects like fireballs and lightning bolts are destined for another gallery (or more likely, a different/better mechanism for managing map objects). The light sources were indeed part of a truevision demo. Honestly, I really prefer the GM-controlled "zones" approach shown in the preview video to what I was doing with truevision (which was closer to ray tracing. I still like the idea of a lighting model, but I need to think through how to do that and retain the elegance and ease of use that you get with zones.

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote:

Also can one add other game pieces? I thought daggers that appeared to stick out of the tabletop would be cool place markers for fantasy style games instead of pins.

Yes, and more-yes-later. :rolleyes:

You can, today, add any arbitrary image to the map. That's essentially a long-hand equivalent of the game pieces. Later, you'll be able to add these to a gallery (or better mechanism) for easy reuse. Right now, you can add an image object select/change its image, and copy-paste it (within the same map or tabletop) if you want more than one, but there's not a way to save it to a gallery of recently/frequently used objects (like you can do with pens and brushes, for instance).

wickidsurfer;3024 wrote:

Also your tabletop is great. I messed around with it most of last night and didn't really have any issues. I was so inspired to try new things and kept thinking of clever ways to use the features to enhance our campaign. All tidbits I will use to help sell your tabletop to my gaming group.

And bravo to you for not charging on the player side. While I am a player in our current campaign I won't have any problems picking this program up and stashing it away to use in the future and help support what you are doing here. Thanks for taking a look at my questions.

I really appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm. This has been a nights and weekends project over several years, and it's great to see people using it. For anyone who wonders what wickidsurfer is talking about when he says, "not charging on the player side", take a look at EpicTable's Kitchen Table Licensing Model.
  • Hey John,

Firstly, very excited that fog of war may be just a couple of days away! Thanks John.

My feelings on themes is that, again thinking about your purpose for EpicTable - "Less Prep, More Play" ... for me, I don't want to be creating themes. It's too much work. That's why I don't use Fantasy Grounds for example. So, for me, I'd be happy for their to be a small set of standard themes that come with ET, and then additional themes available for purchase and download (you need to be getting something from all your work! :-) )

Oh, by the way, I'm coming to the U.S.! I'll be in New Orleans for two months from 26th Feb. It's a pity the timing didn't allow for a visit to GenCon, but I'm hoping to go somewhere for TableTop Day.

Cheers,

Rohan
  • I wish I were closer to New Orleans, or that you could visit Gen Con. Any chance you'll come up for PAX East?
  • I appreciate you getting back to my post so soon. And addressing all my questions.

Let me try to tackle the dice cups concept and what I like about it. I haven't really had the chance to use it in a game, but this is just my initial thoughts. After having used Macros for maptools to program in various dice rolls for my character token as my comparison point to the dice cup concept. I as a player can just add all my relevant attacks and damages right at the top of the screen. If we switch maps they are still there. With maptools I have to drag and drop my token onto my GMs map which creates ownership issue and with fog of war enabled usually means I can't see until he gives me ownership. Any way it creates an awkward switch whenever we go to a new map.

Also the Dice cups are intuitive, you don't need to have a basic understanding of coding to use the dice cup interface to add your common dice rolls to the menu. Which for me means I don't have to deal with questions on coding(I am no programmer by any stretch of the word) from the other players that think my macros are awesome.

I haven't really noticed anything that is lacking. Seeing as how I am the only player in our group that uses macros, the biggest benefit for our group is I see everyone using the dice cups.

The themes are definitely not a make a break deal for me. I just use obsidian portal a lot and would love to mirror our campaign there with a custom theme. I also second the idea of add on purchaseable themes. I agree with your slogan on less prep more play. Its not my campaign so I have no prep required but I basically help the GM with all kinds of stuff away from the virtual table. I feel like taking an active role outside the game helps keep everyone excited and stoked about the campaign.

Besides you have beer steins and beer cozies! How can this not be the right choice for me!!!:D Thanks again for answering my question. I think I can safely speak for my group and saying we look forward to our new view being Epictable.
  • Thanks for the feedback on what you like about dice cups. It keeps me from doing something that makes them less valuable in a future release. There are things I don't like about the galleries, but their being always available is one of the good things.
  • John Lammers;3040 wrote: I wish I were closer to New Orleans, or that you could visit Gen Con. Any chance you'll come up for PAX East?

I had a look at the Pax East site, but registrations have closed - ah well. Yes, shame about Gen Con ... not sure I'll have too many opportunities to get it, so it would have been great if the times could have coincided.
  • So I bought my copy and hosted one of my buddies from our group. We were messing around. Let me add about the dice pools.... I love the fact they are local to the players!!! I have mine they have theirs. Thats awesome. I wasn't sure but its pretty cool.

So user friendly. We will probably be playing more online games now. Great product. No buyers remorse here. Keep up the great work. Looking forward to fog of war.

Another thing. My DM uses our chat log to write up an adventure synopsis he then turns into a PDF. I found the chat.log and was able to open in up with firefox locally and easily find the dialog. I will probably format our chat log and send it to him to help him out. Its a bit convoluted in its notepad state, but nothing a couple minutes of cleaning up can't handle. I am just glad you had the forethought to save it locally.
  • Glad to hear you're enjoying EpicTable, and thanks for the kind words. The chat log is one of those experimental non-features, because it's not polished or tested, and is likely missing things. The idea would be to generate it as HTML snippets to which you can apply your own CSS, but to ship with some reasonable-looking CSS out of the box and a way to view it or export it from a menu item, rather than troll around through your filesystem looking for it. There's also been a suggestion to load the last few chat messages when you reload the game--to pick up where you left off, I guess. Kind of interesting.