Newbie questions !

Haven't bought it yet - although from first impressions will do soon

99% of time players will be at my house .

I want to pop the map onto my Wall mount tv ( there is a netbook attached to it via HDMI which is ethernet to my network). Mainly for fog of war , im happy to move the chars rather than players. I will have done all prep in advance .

I am assuming that I would need another machine to use as GM and have my netbook as some form of a guest ? - but can that guest show all chars in party communally?

Where is a good source of icons / tokens / for char etc

Good source of maps ?

Wish I had your damn skill :)

Comments

• NinjaGranny;3101 wrote: Haven't bought it yet - although from first impressions will do soon

Glad to hear your impressions are favorable. I'm the developer, so let me know if you have questions. I'd be glad to help you out.

NinjaGranny;3101 wrote:

I am assuming that I would need another machine to use as GM and have my netbook as some form of a guest ? - but can that guest show all chars in party communally?

No, you don't need a second machine. You could do that, but as of version 1.3 (released in August), you can just plug another screen (or big screen TV or projector) into your computer, open a Player View for your map and drag its tab over to the second screen. There's a super-quick (13 seconds) video of dragging an EpicTable map to the big screen on YouTube. I'm working on a longer, better one.

NinjaGranny;3101 wrote:

Where is a good source of icons / tokens / for char etc

Good source of maps ?

I think the best source for tokens is Devin Night. His work has been in several EpicTable bundles, and he'll be part of our marketplace when it finally debuts.

Maps of Mastery has some awesome stuff, but watch out--it's intended for print, so it's way, way too big for online use. Some of those appeared in the EpicTable Box Set a couple years ago, and I had to scale them down dramatically.

DriveThruRPG/RPGNow has tons of maps and tokens. And then there are indie publishers, like my Matt Jackson and Bryan Meadows. Oh, and check out the Michael Tumey.
  • I code a bit but don't have the skills :)

I can see the design effort you have put in and i'm impressed - going to try the two monitor thing BUt may have to do it the other way as my mate who is also interested is going for a touch screen table top display ( which has inbuilt pc)

hmm - i may try a touchscreen on its on ... that could be cool.
  • NinjaGranny;3108 wrote: I code a bit but don't have the skills :)

I can see the design effort you have put in and i'm impressed - going to try the two monitor thing BUt may have to do it the other way as my mate who is also interested is going for a touch screen table top display ( which has inbuilt pc)

hmm - i may try a touchscreen on its on ... that could be cool.

Thank you for the kind words.

If you're using a separate PC, rather than just a separate screen, join from that PC as a player. If you want it to be a mindless drone and follow you around, go into settings and tell it to auto-accept requests to change focus.

If you don't make this settings change, no worries--you'll get this prompt:

Then, whenever you change focus, the tabletop screen will follow. You can request that participants change focus via the ribbon or the right-click menu of the map's tab.

• The pop out on another screen worked v well indeed - now im playing hard to see what it can do :)

dont really want players to have to move tokens so that works - rotating tokens is still a bit of an annoyance and im having to remake player tokens with facing - just made a few scale templates for spells ...

back soon :)
  • What part of rotation is an annoyance? Is it that the default facing isn't appropriate for your situation and you always have to rotate them, or is it the rotation itself? Did you notice the keyboard shortcuts listed alongside the menu items (Ctrl+right/left arrow keys) for rotation?