Dice Mechanics Help

Attempting to set these mechanics up and have not quite figured out the best setup. I have come really close but Have not figured out how to get the "Drama Dice" to be counted as the highest while not discarding the 6's

Example: My Character has a 3 in his governing Attribute so my "Drama Dice" is 1 D6 is of one color or type then I have 2 additional D6's of another color or type.

I roll all 3 dice and take the highest dice if I get a 6 on the Drama dice I keep the highest 2 rolled add those to the skill and get the sum.

My closest results came when I set the

1xD6 +(Skill Total)

Keep 6's (No Limit)

=Sum

2xD6 + 0

Keep Highest (1 Dice)

Evaluators to apply to all Dice

Keep Highest (2 Dice)

=Sum

This works well when my Drama Dice gets a 6. It does not work when my Drama Dice is not a 6 but gets the Higher roll out of the 3. Note changing the Drama Dice to Keep Highest and 6's does not work since it keeps the highest 2 from the whole set and this should only happen when the Drama Dice gets a 6.

Not sure if there is a way around this it also does not account for all 1's either which is a Dramatic Failure. Can Count Successes be used with the Sum option?

Hope You someone can Help.

Comments

• It would really help me if you could list a few examples of rolls and their interpretations.

By the way, what system is this?

Of course, you can always just look at the dice. I'm not being glib--I'm totally willing to add more dice mechanics. I like them. I just mean that EpicTable has a philosophy somewhat akin to the Hippocratic Oath--"First, do no harm." In other words, at minimum, it's a shared table no less capable than your physical table--you can see dice, you can put things on it, move things around, etc. But by all means, teach me this mechanic, so I can make the dice roller better. This sounds like a class of problem that the current EpicTable dice roller isn't great at, which are things where one dice pool is dependent upon another. Sometimes there are clever ways around that though...
  • I have updated the original post with a picture demonstrating the mechanics

The system is Last Unicorn Games: Star Trek Next Generations

I will use an example of Cadet McKinley

Cadet McKinley has a 3 Intelligence and possesses a Computer(Research) score of 2

Based on the system Mechanics I roll 3 six sided Dice in total

1 is a Drama Dice of a different color we will say Blue

2 Regular Dice we will say Green

Example 1

You roll all 3 dice

4 & 3

with this result you Take the highest which is the 5 & add 2 for the skill being used the result is 7

Example 2

You roll all 3 dice

1 & 6

with this result you Take the highest which is the 6 & add 2 for the skill being used the result is 8

Example 3

You roll all 3 dice

5 & 2

This result is a special situation when you Take the highest which is the Drama Dice 6 you also take the next highest as well 5 & add 2 for the skill being used the result is 6+5+2=13

Example 4

You roll all 3 dice

6 & 6

This result is a rare situation when you Take the highest which is the Drama Dice 6 take the next highest which is also 6 (for each additional 6 it counts as an automatic +1) & then add 2 for the skill being used the result is 6+6+1+2=15

I have actually accomplished the results for Example 2 & 3 but this causes issues with Example 1 due to the 5 being the highest and on the Drama Dice. I am not expecting the Example 4 to be possible adding an option to use the same evaluator twice on a single dice may help, but I am not sure. Also may help to use the Sum option and the Count Successes option on the Example 4.

• Thank you for the detailed example and screen shots!

Trying to do this with the current dice roll builder is a bit of a mind bender. I'd probably leave it up the the humans for now. I'll keep this in mind, though, as I look at other dice roller enhancements. It's the interplay between pools that's the real problem--that and things like "each additional 6 it counts as an automatic +1". It's like there are two counting algorithms for the same pool. Generalizing this--especially an a way anyone is going to understand (which is really EpicTable's core value proposition)--is an interesting problem.