Hackmaster style Exploding Dice?

edited September 2014 in EpicTable Discussion
I have been unable to implement Hackmaster style exploding dice. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

In Hackmaster, the highest value explodes, but dice #2, 3, etc. are all -1 on the dice. So if rolling a D6 and the rolls are:

6, 6, 1

Your final total is:

6 + 5 + 0 = 11

Is there a way to do this?

Comments

• There really isn't--not right now anyway.

For the time being, you can fall back on the "it's no worse than my physical tabletop" philosophy and just adjudicate the dice roll yourself, like you would had you rolled physical dice.

The somewhat longer-term answer is: I love dice mechanics, and I have a few things up my sleeve for the future... May I contact you about Hackmaster in the future?
  • :)

Please do feel free to contact me about this - if you need some programming done, just let me know. I'm quite proficient in .NET (C#)

Maybe allow "dice snap-ins" so that programmer types can write their own rollers? This would be cool for statistical rollers or exponential rolls for example. I do know a game system where d6s are rolled and 1s become 3s and 6s become 4s, weighting the dice to the middle. I don't need that capability, but it would be cool if someone who did need it could add the ability (or sell them as add-on modules to the base product).

Thanks,

Bruce
  • I know, it's been awhile. New dice rollers haven't been a priority, but I'll try to get to some. It'll be a nice diversion. I'm not opposed to allowing people to add their own dice rollers, but I want to do it in a responsible, safe way. I don't think people will really limit themselves to rollers from just people they know personally, and I don't want someone doing something nasty to them in a dice roller. There are technological approaches to handle this, but that takes time too. I could publish the dice roller interface and let people submit new rollers to me, which I could review for safety, but that'll take a little time too, and it's ongoing. I lean toward solving this once, in a way that's safe, so that I don't have to be involved every time someone wants a new roller.