Nice update!

edited September 2014 in EpicTable Discussion
John,

Nice update! I for one am a big fan of anything that makes managing what PCs can and can't see on maps easier! Also, kudos for detachable player view tabs that I can throw on the wall screen - that's a fantastic thing!

Now, naturally, I'll ask - how is TrueVision coming? :)

Comments

• Thanks. I'd like your thoughts on the fog of war functionality introduced in 1.2 (http://www.epictable.com/blog/announcements/epictable-1-2-released/).

It's not a full lighting and vision model, but in my own game, I've found it surprisingly effective and super-easy. EpicTable's all about super-easy and no-prep, and this "zones" model is working really well in my game, despite being (because of being?) quite simple.
  • It's actually hard to complain about how the vision support works now. It's not TruVision, but...in practice, it works pretty darned nicely for what I'm doing!
  • Yeah, I agree. I'm glad you think so. The True Vision concept was very dear to me, and it demos like a million bucks--just looks so awesome. But in practice, the prep and the futzing around... The current approach gets me most of what I want with so much less work. If development time were infinite, I'd probably do it just for the coolness factor. There's a lot more to do, though, and development time is tragically finite.
  • Hi Folks,

I can't seem to figure out how to make a FOW zone toggle on and off within a larger FOW zone? Is that type of thing possible? If not it would be great to see that added. I seem to always have PCs approach the "little house in the woods" type situations. Rather than everyone just go inside (and I can switch to a new interior map) some PCs stay outside and some move inside so I have to have a map area for both interior and exterior displayed. It would be nice to have a FOW reveal of the small house area when the PCs enter the house while the rest of the external map is visible.
  • There should probably be an option to control how overlapping zones work. I've wanted to do the same thing you're trying to accomplish. It doesn't work, and here's why. The way overlapping zones work currently is meant to accommodate overlapping lines of sight. So, where ever you click when you enable or disable a zone, it's going to do that action for all zones at that point. It's easier to understand in a video. I'm working on one now.
  • The only time that I have seen this being a huge pain for me is when there is a room inside a larger room. The FoW boxes can get obnoxious depending on the density and shape of the room. Easy to work around, just annoying.
  • I just posted a video showing how overlapping zones work in EpicTable, including a trick you can use.
  • Thanks for posting the tricks, I picked up a few things! I'm going to experiment with the zone within a zone method you demonstrated. :D
  • Hi John,

Cool video, thanks. A couple of things -

1. Just a small thing, but I found your voice very hard to hear when the music was playing as well.

2. On a programming idea, re the "zone within a zone" concept, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to have the two zones selected by ctr-clicking, and then reveal/hide the area between them?? I've no idea how the code works of course, but just thought I'd throw it up as an idea.

Cheers,

Rohan
  • Let me say this back to you, because I think the way you've said it has me thinking that we actually think about zones a little differently. This is in the "Interesting, Not Bad" category. The fact that you use the phrase "the area between them" makes me think you think of the zones as the bounding rectangles--the outline, in other words. I think of them as the whole rectangular area. I say that because it's the only way I can make sense of "between" when referring to zones.

I think what you're getting at is that using ctrl+click or some other gesture, one could multi-select zones and then use some other gesture to have the region between the two outlines revealed/concealed.

I think of these in terms of areas, so I think of unions and intersections and xors, but regardless, I get the point, select a couple zones and choose how you want to handle the overlapping zones. I've been thinking along similar lines.

It's a problem worth solving.
  • Couldn't you simply check if one zone is entirely within another, then when asked to reveal you do so only for the enclosed zone?
  • That's interesting... So, your assertion is that, unlike overlapping zones in general, in the case of overlapping zones where one is wholly within the other, you only hide/reveal the inner zone?

You know, I think that holds up. I can't think of a case where that wouldn't be your expectation, and it's super easy, requires no additional UI buttons or gestures. I think that works.

Now, is it also true that in the same scenario, if you interact with the outer zone, you don't want that interaction to affect the inner (contained) one? I think that's true too.
  • Good evening Epic table community!

John,

I ran into an issue where I was trying to place tokens into an area that I had a fog of war in. When I switched to the token layer it made the fog boundaries disappear. Is it possible to have those visual indicators remain on the token layer just not be interacted with? It would make the placement of tokens on a player visible map easier to do.
  • That's an interesting thought. I'll have to double-check, but I think it would be super-easy. I just unconditionally don't paint the borders when you're not in fog view, but I could just as easily respect the Show Borders setting (I think).