Working With An Extended Desktop

Hi folks, I'm a new user of Epic Table and really like what I see. My current set up is my laptop in front of me and a monitor behind the laptop so the players can see it but I can't. I was cloning my laptop and using Dundjinni as the map creator and the battleboard display. That has advantages in that I can see exactly what the players see since I can't actually look at their monitor. The downside is Dundjinni is a resource hog and I can't have monsters off to the side because the players have the same view I do.

So, I tried a few sample map things with Epic Table and I feel comfortable with moving a player map to the extended screen and back to the source screen even though I can't actually see the extended screen. Here are a couple of things I'm struggling with and I'm hoping someone can help me work with these issues:

1) Is there a way to sync the GM map and the player map views to move together? Right now, I can scroll my GM map down but the player map doesn't move so I have to pull it back off the extended desktop update it and push it back to the extended. It would be nice if there was an update or refresh button that would push these updates if they can't be in real time/ automatic.

2) It would be great if zoom on the GM map also worked as a synced realtime zoom for the player shared map on the extended desktop. Again maybe an update or refresh button if this can't happen automatically. That's a huge limitation with using Dundjinni as the battleboard visualization and it would be great to be able to zoom in with this tool!

3) finding a way to eliminate all of the ribbons and title bar info on the player map as a default would be very nice. I like how they can be pretty well shrunk down but any way to eliminate them altogether (without having to manually do so on the extended screen which I can't see) would be better for me.

Thanks for any suggestions and tips I look forward to using Epic Table at all of the conventions I will be attending!

MU Skulls Frank

http://www.muskulls.org

Comments

• Welcome! I'm glad EpicTable is working out for you.

MU_Skulls_Frank;3121 wrote: 1) Is there a way to sync the GM map and the player map views to move together? Right now, I can scroll my GM map down but the player map doesn't move so I have to pull it back off the extended desktop update it and push it back to the extended. It would be nice if there was an update or refresh button that would push these updates if they can't be in real time/ automatic.
    Definitely in the plan. I should have done that all along. I find it a bit of a pain to have to scroll both as well--and my player screen is where I can see it.

MU_Skulls_Frank;3121 wrote: 2) It would be great if zoom on the GM map also worked as a synced realtime zoom for the player shared map on the extended desktop. Again maybe an update or refresh button if this can't happen automatically. That's a huge limitation with using Dundjinni as the battleboard visualization and it would be great to be able to zoom in with this tool!
    Agreed--that's part of the plan as well.

Probably need a way to "unlink/relink" with the map momentarily to allow you to do stuff on your GM map without always zooming and scrolling the player map. The zoom and scroll would probably have to be a little smart, because you'll often have way more real estate on the player view screen.

MU_Skulls_Frank;3121 wrote: 3) finding a way to eliminate all of the ribbons and title bar info on the player map as a default would be very nice. I like how they can be pretty well shrunk down but any way to eliminate them altogether (without having to manually do so on the extended screen which I can't see) would be better for me.

Do you want just a blank titlebar and no ribbon? In retrospect the no ribbon makes a lot of sense. The titlebar has the zoom on it, which I thought you might want--your 2nd screen may be significantly larger than your GM screen.
  • Thanks so much for taking the time to read my thoughts!

Probably need a way to "unlink/relink" with the map momentarily to allow you to do stuff on your GM map without always zooming and scrolling the player map. The zoom and scroll would probably have to be a little smart, because you'll often have way more real estate on the player view screen

I've seen some presentation programs for extended desktop that make a "mini screen" on the main screen of what is on the extended desktop screen. This would help with my situation (as I can't see the extended screen) and might also be a good place to put a unlink/relink button. You can quick glance at what the player screen is, unlink if needed to make adjustments, zoom, scroll, or add monsters on the GM screen and then relink and refresh the player screen.

Do you want just a blank titlebar and no ribbon? In retrospect the no ribbon makes a lot of sense. The titlebar has the zoom on it, which I thought you might want--your 2nd screen may be significantly larger than your GM screen

Not being able to see the extended screen limits my ability to use the zoom buttons my the player map (or any buttons for that matter).... Unless I was able to actually use buttons on the "mini map" to control how the player map on the extended screen worked. That would work really great!