Feature Requests

I did not on casual inspection see a feature request topic.

Here is some context. I just finished my first session running D&D with EpicTable and was very please with it, particularly after ~3-4 sessions using MapTools. My sessions are entirely local, and am thus using it solely to display maps using a projector. Based on my experience I have chose to purchase EpicTable.

1. the persistence of the data folder location. I've it to be by OneDrive directory and have to change it every time I start the application.

2. the persistence of the panel states (Chat, Dice Tray and Character Portraits). Because I am playing entirely locally these panels don't serve a purpose. Having to hide these every time I load the application is a pain.

3. having a way to draw some primitive shapes on a map. Specifically I wanted to draw a 20 foot radius circle on a map to indicate a spells persistent area of effect. My attempts to hand draw it were frustrating to the players as they did not feel it was accurate enough and when I used a scaled up token it hid the map. something that just drew a hollow circle that worked with the grid snap would be great.

4. I (and everyone I've seen try) expected the mouse wheel to zoom

5. I (and everyone I've seen try) expected right click to toggle panning

6. It would be great if the map rotation could be controlled per view. example: I have a map that was drawn in portrait, on my screen I want it to be in portrait so that I can read it and easily compare it to the book. but in the player view I want it to be rotated to landscape as it is being projected to a table and want to maximize viewable area. I've worked around it by preprocessing the map to landscape, but I suspect my dyslexia is getting the better of me trying to read the map on it's side.

It's clear that a lot of effort and passion have gone into this great tool. I hope that it continues to grow and garner support.

Comments

• Gray Baron;3125 wrote: I did not on casual inspection see a feature request topic.

Feature requests are over on the Support site ("Support" on the top navbar or http://support.epictable.com). We can chat here. That's where they're tracked, though.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

Here is some context. I just finished my first session running D&D with EpicTable and was very please with it, particularly after ~3-4 sessions using MapTools. My sessions are entirely local, and am thus using it solely to display maps using a projector. Based on my experience I have chose to purchase EpicTable.

Glad to hear you're pleased thus far. There's another recent thread where an EpicTable user is talking about wanting a player view on his screen--as a miniview--or other way to be able to manipulate the player view on the big screen when that big screen isn't visible to him. I'm guessing that's not as big a deal with the projection system, but it might be useful to you too if you're currently having to strain to look over your stuff to the projection.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

1. the persistence of the data folder location. I've it to be by OneDrive directory and have to change it every time I start the application.

Not sure what you mean. If you're saying that your data folder location keeps getting reset back to the default, that's a bug. I've not seen that. I use Dropbox, but same idea. It's an awesome way to work on multiple PCs, so if it's not working for you, please let me know so I can get it straightened out. Just open a ticket over at support.epictable.com. I'll ask for you to attach some diagnostics, most likely, but we'll get to the bottom of it.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

2. the persistence of the panel states (Chat, Dice Tray and Character Portraits). Because I am playing entirely locally these panels don't serve a purpose. Having to hide these every time I load the application is a pain.

Noted. That's a worthwhile thing to do.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

3. having a way to draw some primitive shapes on a map. Specifically I wanted to draw a 20 foot radius circle on a map to indicate a spells persistent area of effect. My attempts to hand draw it were frustrating to the players as they did not feel it was accurate enough and when I used a scaled up token it hid the map. something that just drew a hollow circle that worked with the grid snap would be great.

Yeah, I agree. That stuff is on the roadmap. In the meantime, what I do for spells is use image objects. If you go to Items tab, there's an "Add Image" button. You can use anything you want there. It's a bit more prep than drawing, because you have to actually have images you want to use, but it also looks really nice. I have a semi-transparent fireball image I like to use, for instance. Note that right now, only characters snap to grid. At one point, I thought that was a good idea. I thought wrong. Other things will snap soon.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

4. I (and everyone I've seen try) expected the mouse wheel to zoom

5. I (and everyone I've seen try) expected right click to toggle panning

I think that's largely a matter of what apps you're familiar with. I've had lots of people tell me control+mouse wheel should zoom (which rings true to me, because I spend my life in Visual Studio and Chrome). Plain old mouse wheel always does vertical scroll, in my experience. But point taken--there are established metaphors for scroll and zoom that I should be using. I'd love to hear what other people think the "right" ones are.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

6. It would be great if the map rotation could be controlled per view. example: I have a map that was drawn in portrait, on my screen I want it to be in portrait so that I can read it and easily compare it to the book. but in the player view I want it to be rotated to landscape as it is being projected to a table and want to maximize viewable area. I've worked around it by preprocessing the map to landscape, but I suspect my dyslexia is getting the better of me trying to read the map on it's side.

That's a really interesting one. I haven't heard it before, but I can see how that would be really useful.

Gray Baron;3125 wrote:

It's clear that a lot of effort and passion have gone into this great tool. I hope that it continues to grow and garner support.
    Thank you! And thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. EpicTable is the work of nights and weekends, and really, irrational stubbornness over years. I love working on it, though, and it's great to see it helping people game more or game better.
  • 1. I've opened a support ticket, I am in fact seeing that the location is being reset.

2. I assume then that this is noted somewhere

3. glad to hear that this is on the road map. i'll try the workaround this weekend.

4. I suspect the real ask here is not so much consistency with other apps as not having to click on little buttons in the corner of the screen. whether there is a hotkey for plus/minus buttons or whatever is probably good enough.

5. as above, once we discovered that the arrow keys panned, this is mitigated. Perhaps this is more of a discoverability problem?

There's another recent thread where an EpicTable user is talking about wanting a player view on his screen--as a miniview--or other way to be able to manipulate the player view on the big screen when that big screen isn't visible to him. I'm guessing that's not as big a deal with the projection system, but it might be useful to you too if you're currently having to strain to look over your stuff to the projection.
    is feels related, the way we worked around the problem is I've delegated to one of the players control of the player view. they are actually projecting using the client version of the app, controlling map selection, scaling (for tactical maps) and panning to keep things in view while I reveal the fog of war. I would like to not need to delegate this, but looking at the map sideways was too hard. switching maps was too hard, if feels like a "mini map" view that allows panning, scaling switching maps would be very useful.

I'm sure I'm about to confuse the issue with term collisions.

One could perhaps solve some of the issue by having a having a table top act as a container for maps, the player view is of a table top. as the GM I can change what map is on the table top. the "mini map" is then a view of table top. I've no real concept of what your architecture is this is just how I might think about it (with a large grain of salt:)).
  • That bit about the tabletop as something you can put maps on, and having a player tabletop and a GM tabletop--that's good. I wish I'd modeled it that way from the start. Still could--it would mean revising my current use of "tabletop" for "something you play on, that's not a map, like a gameboard or just...well the tabletop itself". At a design level, I just call all these "surfaces", and maps are only really different in how they default the grid. That seemed a little abstract, so I did "maps" and "tabletops". I like your suggested use of "tabletop", though. Maybe I could use "table"? As in "you can put a map or a tabletop on table?" Hmm...what's a playing surface that's not a map?