Just got Epictable

Hello everyone!

I am a FG2 user who took the plunge to try EpicTable. I like the ease of setting it up (no port forwarding) and the ease of getting others to join (No license nonsense, ruleset costs etc.).



I have a few questions that I hope to find answers for.



1) Will there be character sheets with editable fields and macros? The notes are *okay* but it would be nice to have a proper char sheet template that people can use for their ruleset of choice.



2) If I make some custom dice rolls for character gen etc. Is there a way I can just share them on the ribbon for everyone to use? I know they can be dragged onto the table but there is no way to label them.



3) Are they any plans to license game conversions for EpicTable? It would be nice to have a CoC theme, a Paranoia theme and so on.

I would like to switch our CoC, Savage Worlds, Paranoia group to EpicTable but it seems that every setting will have to be built from scratch.



4) Is there a resource where people can upload/trade scenarios?



5) We'd like to try Aces & Eights but does EpicTable have a way of working the shot clock on a virtual tabletop. This is one game that also seems to challenge most virtual desktops.



EpicTable seems to be on the verge of greatness but just lacks some features/polish to make it a serious contender for FG2 replacement (In my opinion). I purchased a copy to show support ad hope development continues as it has potential to be the best on the market.

Comments

  • Hi Arnuphis! Thanks so much for you kind words and support. I'll address your questions point by point and see where we need to drill down.

    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    I like the ease of setting it up (no port forwarding) and the ease of getting others to join (No license nonsense, ruleset costs etc.).

    I know, those aren't questions, but I wanted to comment briefly because you picked out two of the things I'm most proud of. I rewrote the messaging layer just before the beta release because I envisioned people fighting with their routers and my having to write lots of FAQ articles. It was all very counter to the simplicity values of EpicTable. Similarly, licensing was driven by my desire for simplicity and to eliminate those agonizing "Can/should I talk all my players into buying this?" decisions.



    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    1) Will there be character sheets with editable fields and macros? The notes are *okay* but it would be nice to have a proper char sheet template that people can use for their ruleset of choice.

    Yes! This is one of two big things on the horizon. I'm wary about talking about things too much too early, because I'm a one man show and time can be a challenge. As it gets closer, I'll start to leak some details.

    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    2) If I make some custom dice rolls for character gen etc. Is there a way I can just share them on the ribbon for everyone to use? I know they can be dragged onto the table but there is no way to label them.

    This is on the list too. A lot of GMs (myself included) want to make rolls for new players, and players come up with rolls they want to share. The labels for tabletop rolls are in the works as well.

    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    3) Are they any plans to license game conversions for EpicTable? It would be nice to have a CoC theme, a Paranoia theme and so on.

    I would like to switch our CoC, Savage Worlds, Paranoia group to EpicTable but it seems that every setting will have to be built from scratch.

    This is something that (to me) follows pretty naturally from the character sheet work and some other work that's going on. Beyond the technical work, though, I don't know the first thing (yet) about licensing these games. If anyone out there has experience and advice, let me know.

    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    4) Is there a resource where people can upload/trade scenarios?

    There will be. The 2nd Big Thing is a change to how resources--images, character sheets, characters, etc.--are handled. Part of that change is for the benefit of someone organizing their own stuff, but another part of it is publishing/sharing your stuff and consuming resources others have shared. It's not a small thing, but I believe that, paired with work like the character sheet work, it enables creation and publication of scenarios, NPCs, monsters, "playsets", etc. (You see, all your questions are related! :))

    Arnuphis;3206 wrote:

    5) We'd like to try Aces & Eights but does EpicTable have a way of working the shot clock on a virtual tabletop. This is one game that also seems to challenge most virtual desktops.

    I'd be happy to chat with you about this sometime. I'm not that familiar with the game, but couldn't you create the shot clock as a mostly transparent png and just add it to a tabletop as an image and position it on top of your silhouettes (also images--perhaps locked down to avoid accidentally grabbing them)?
  • Thanks for the inspiring replies. I'll keep ET on the backburner and wait for the forthcoming updates.



    For Licenses, as much as I enjoy Call of Cthulhu and think that Chaosium would be very amenable to working with you, it obviously makes sense to look at D&D and Savage Worlds first since they probably have a broader appeal.



    I'd suggest just reaching out to the companies and seeing what happens. I know Kenzer & Co. (Hackmaster, Aces & Eights) have said they are receptive when asked about Fantasy Grounds but again their playerbase is probably much smaller than the ones for D&D and Savage Worlds.



    Aces and Eights uses a transparent shot clock which players overlay on a target to determine whey they are aiming. They then roll a die and use playing cards to measure the success. Sounds like a transparent PNG file could work.



    Keep up the good work and as Epic Table clearly has some great potential!
Sign In or Register to comment.