Progress Report: New Invitation Service

I really wanted to post a screencast of a new EpicTable feature this weekend, but I've spent it fighting with AWS (Amazon Web Services). The good news is that I have a brand new invitation service that's looking really solid, and that's also the basis for my work on better/faster map and image sharing.

The new invitation service is based on AWS DynamoDB, Lambda, and API Gateway, and like always happens, the first 80% was fun and fast and had me congratulating myself on my choice to move away from my old ASP.NET MVC services. Then came the last 20%, an exercise in hair-pulling, over-caffeination, and deep despair. At one point, I watched the Battle of Helm's Deep from The Two Towers, feeling keenly envious of the humans and elves struggling merely against an overwhelming army of orcs, as opposed to AWS.

In the end, though, in the light of a beautiful Sunday afternoon, I have an invitation service that works better then the original, faster than the original, and runs with AWS levels of reliability as opposed to that of my old ASP.NET hosting service. I'm declaring victory--just not the screencast-worthy one I wanted.